With the start of the new year, I am laying out several athletic goals for myself.
1. Lower my 5K PR to below 30 minutes. I don't run too many 5K's, and rarely at all later in the year, so we'll have to see if I get this done in the spring or if it has to wait for the fall.
2. Lower my half marathon PR to below 2:30. I'll probably run a couple half marathons during the year, but I'm thinking fall will be my best chance to PR at this distance. I am already entered in 2 half marathons early in the year--Houston in January and Austin in February, although I don't know if either is really suitable for trying to set a new PR.
3. Compete in at least 2 triathlon events. I am currently looking at the Lone Star Triathlon's Quarter Iron event (Galveston) in early April and the CB&I Triathlon (The Woodlands) in early May as my first triathlon. After that, we will see where I go after that. I would like to someday enter the Longhorn Ironman 70.3 event in Austin, but that will probably have to wait another year.
4. Enroll in, and train for, the Walt Disney World Marathon in January 2010. In addition to running a full marathon, I plan to enjoy a nice family vacation.
5. Get myself down under 210 pounds before the end of the year. I ended 2008 a good deal lighter than I started the year and I hope to replicate that weight loss (at a minimum). Right now my weight may be the biggest obstacle holding me back. Who knows how much faster I can be if I just drop 20 pounds or more?
OK, now that I've laid this out, we'll see how i did come year's end.
In celebration of my efforts for the new year, this morning I started the year with my own personal sprint triathlon at the gym--300 yards swimming, 7 miles biking and 1.5 miles running. Admittedly, it was not very long, but, hey, I had to start somewhere.