Sunday, August 9, 2009

Bike, Run, Bike

Another hot weekend here, at least now it's supposed to be this hot as opposed to unseasonably warm--still 100 degree days do not make for fun running days. In preparation for the upcoming Half Ironman (and for a bit of variety) I did my running and biking for a big one day brick workout.

I biked over to my friend Missy's house, then we ran, then I biked back home. The first bike leg was only 7 miles, I had wanted to do more, but time was becoming an issue and I did not want to be late for our meeting time. Then we did about 8.4 miles (including a bit of warmup and cooldown walking--8.12 miles running). It started out feeling fine, but warmed up in a hurry. It was not too long before we felt we were in a muggy soup out there. Still we pushed the pace and got a good workout, even running a negative split for our overall run. Finally, I rode a much less direct route back home with another 12.1 miles. Since I was not going for a long distance, I made sure to try to push my pace a bit, especially through the hills of Flintridge Drive--I know these are not nearly as bad as what I will find in Austin in October, but it is what I have to train with here for now.

Overall, it was a good workout for a warm, humid morning. Next week I'll be back to my Saturday long bike in the 30 to 40 mile range and my Sunday long run around 8 miles again, but for this weekend I liked the change of pace. This freed up Sunday for some real rest, and a chance for a lunch meeting Sunday with the parents of my oldest daughter's college roommate.

I also learned that it's time for a new pair of running shoes with this run as I felt that faint, but familiar, soreness that comes with wearing out the shoes. So it's time to rotate the Saucony's out, and the Asics up to the #1 spot, and shop for another pair. We'll see whether Asics or Saucony has a shoe that fits me better this time out. I do not like that the manufacturers muddle with their shoe designs, but I am thankful that I am generally happy with more than one shoe type on the market.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That sounds like a heck of a workout. Seems like you're doing pretty good on the traing front. Keep pushing and letting us know how it's going.

Heather and Jeff said...

Sounds like a fun workout! I know what you mean about the shoes!