Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lone Star 70.3 and April Monthly Wrap-up

With a little time passing by, I wanted to look back over my Lone Star 70.3 performance with fresher eyes and also just look back at how the last months has seen progress (or lack thereof) towards my overall goals.

Lone Star 70.3 - I think my biggest issue with expectations might be that I wanted a better day than I was going to be able to have on that day. In the end the weather and my body were not as cooperative as I would have needed to meet my best goal time, but I can not be upset with a day that set a new PR when it was not a "PR kind of day". In the end I think I got about the best finishing time that I was going to get, and that means that I am happy with my level of effort for that day. Now that I have two 70.3 races under my belt, I have a much better understanding of the race and what it takes to train for and complete it. I will look for a new PR this coming October in the Longhorn 70.3 race.

Last November I learned to expect about a 4 week period to fully recover from the 70.3 distance. This month I will continue to work on my training with that in mind. I am looking at a sprint or Olympic distance tri near the end of this month as my next event, although doing a small local recurring 5K race is always a last minute possibility as well.

I easily met my training goals for the month of April and have thus far been able to train without any major interruptions, which will not be the case for the month of May. In May, my oldest daughter will graduate from the University of Houston (magna cum laude!!) and I will spend some family time with her at that time. Also, my father-in-law was injured early last week in a construction accident where a (empty) 1000 gallon water tank fell across his body and fractured his hip, compounded by a "mild" heart attack a couple of days later awaiting the reconstructive surgery on his hip. Everything now appears to be improving for him, and he is once again looking towards the reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation. I will gladly let some of my training time go to spend time visiting him and helping at his business in his absence.

April turned out to be the first month this year that I gained weight, but that was largely due to my recovery week after the 70.3 being the last week of the month where I allowed myself to go off diet (loving those Chick-fil-A peach milkshakes!) while also doing minimal exercise. As of May 1 I was up 5.2 lbs for the month, but still down 3.4 lbs for the year. I fully expect to be back on track in May in the downward direction for weight once more.

3 comments:

Heather and Jeff said...

So sorry about your father in law Richard- that's terrible. I hope he's going to be ok, sounds like he's lucky to be alive!

congrats to Amanda, I bet you're very proud!

Amanda said...

Congralulations to your daughter - that's a huge accomplishment graduating college!

I hope your father-in-law is feeling better and can begin healing and rehab.

I wouldn't worry about your weight gain - I know you'll take it back off in no time.

Great job on the training and positive outlook for the race that was not optimal and the future training and racing!

Mistyfied said...

To bad about your father in law. I hope he is on his way to a speedy recovery. Congrats on your daughter's acomplishment. Enjoy your recovery time this month.