Coming up with goals for 2012 has been a bit of a challenge for me, at least in terms of finding that appropriate balance that goes beyond simple training. The items that follow are my attempt to ensure that my athletic life does not completely overrun my regular life while I also continue to seek improving myself towards reaching my full potential.
1. Complete the Disney Goofy Challenge in a manner that follows through with my goal for having a fun time during the event rather than having a speed goal for the event.
2. Complete my longest run event in February, the Rocky Raccoon 50 miler.
3. Set new PR's in at least 6 different events/race distances. My intended races include 5K, 10K, half marathon, marathon, 50 mile, multiple sprint triathlon distances, half Ironman (70.3) and Ironman distances. If I had to pick one goal for my primary time-based goal this year, it would be to finish the 70.3 mile half iron distance in under 6 hours. That would be an improvement of over 21 minutes from last November's Oilman Triathlon time.
4. Work on improving my weaknesses. When I look back at my relative position finishes in triathlons, my weakest finish relative to the competition is typically the run. Therefore, I am going to include some effort to improve my running throughout the year. Some of my other training weaknesses that I also plan to spend more time improving are strength and flexibility training.
5. Participate in at least 10 events throughout the year, with at least 4 being running events and at least 4 being triathlon events.
6. Keep my life open to other possibilities that might add to my overall well-being.