Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Barriers

I had an awesome run this Sunday morning. My regular running partners were all no-shows to my running club, so I tried to tag along with the next slowest runners. I ended up sticking with them for the 9 mile run in 1:26:14, which seems like an inconceivable run for me (since I consider 11 minute miles to be fast)--and is probably my best run since my Marine Corps days, certainly my best long run since then. A couple times I tried to drop back, but they wouldn't let me quit and I am so glad I pushed on while they held back for me at the end when I was running on empty. There were so many awesome things for me with this run: I ran straight through except for stopping for traffic and water, I averaged the long run well below 10 minute miles, I ran 2 consecutive miles (6 & 7) below 9 minute miles and I really felt that this run was done at the closest to my maximum effort that I have been able to run in a long time.

In addition, I'm having to retire some clothes for being too big to wear--clothes that might have even once been a bit tight--and I have also been able to recover some clothes from my closet that haven't fit me for more than a few years.

While I've had a very stressful week at work, these events at home have been good for me.

3 comments:

Rae! said...

Sounds like a good run. Work stress is just.....
have a great weekend.

Amanda said...

That is awesome. I'm so glad your training is going well. Sounds like your doing great on the diet front too. Now send some of that motivation my way ;).

Jeff W said...

Congrats on such a satisfying run!