Sunday, October 31, 2010

Iron Star Practice Swim, and more...

Well, I am coming off a VERY long week as I enter my final prep for the Iron Star half iron distance race. Last week was spent in Austin for occupational training classes, specifically so I can be a certified training provider for water and wastewater utility operators in the state. This was definitely not a class for the faint of heart, with 40 hours of classroom time--and it seemed nearly that much time on homework as well, however I persevered.

Yesterday was the practice swim for the course. This was definitely the most unique swim practice I have attended--primarily due to the low lake levels. First off, it was about 42 degrees, but with low wind, low humidity and some sunlight it did not feel too bad (at least, after getting in a wetsuit). Due to the presence of nearby boat traffic, the swim went out and back from the expected race finish. There were some areas of low depth, as you can see from the following photos. However, I did manage to get in some decent swimming. After the swim I ran a lap of the run course with some OutRival Racing teammates at a pretty good clip for me (something like a 9:39 pace).








Credit for all photos goes to Coach Michelle LeBlanc.

Today's workouts left me with a bit of a surprise, I had a good early run this morning. However, after my near 2 hour bike ride, I saw that I had cracked my bike shoe cleat where it secured to the bike. This led to a trip to the bike store and a last minute change this afternoon of something that I have never done before. Initial tests appears that I was successful, but I'll put in another bike ride during this week to make sure I'll be OK on Sunday with my handiwork, as I'd sure hate to have this go wrong on the race course. On the plus side, the weather is looking perfect for race day as of now!

This next week will include lighter workouts and some extra rest to show up prepared on race day, plus whatever problems show up at work...

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Sounds like a great race practice run...Glad you made it through with all the work you had - sounds like the same sort of week I had!

Good luck with the taper and bike changes you made. I can't wait to hear how your race goes!

Adrienne Langelier, MA said...

Have a good taper week Richard and good luck at the 'Star!

Rae! said...

With the excitement of the race coming up, makes tapering so hard!!!

By the pictures it doesn't seem you did a whole bunch of swimming. More like a crawl in the mud hole. Still looks fun.
SO what did you do to your shoe??