Sunday, March 20, 2011

IMTX Training - Week 11

This past week was Week 10 of Ironman Texas Training. This week was a continuation of my current build phase, as modified to allow for a taper before the Kemah International Triathlon in 2 weeks.

Here is how this past week of training breaks down:

Swim - 8,500 yards, 3:25:43
Bike - 104.3 miles on trainer and roads, 6:43:34
Run - 29.05 miles, 6:15:52
Other - stretching specific or other training workout, 0:30:00

Overall training time 16:55:10

This week pushes into the second half of my training cycle of my training program. The highlights of this week included an increase in my running mileage (including my longest run so far of this training plan--13.6 miles) and completing a 70 mile bike/3.25 mile run brick workout. The low point of the week is that I shortened my planned 90 mile ride/3 mile run brick workout earlier today due to some calf soreness (shortened to the previously mentioned managed 70 mile bike/3.25 mile run brick workout). I had first felt the calf soreness during the 13.6 mile run on Thursday and then again in Saturday's 6 mile run. Fortunately, it did not seem to be a factor during my brick run following the bike ride today. If I had gotten in the full ride distance, I would have had my first 18 hour week of training, however I still think it was the right decision to shorten the ride as a potential injury concern. During the last week I have often felt generally weary and tired, but I was able to take advantage of some extra sleep on Saturday to feel a bit more rested at the end of the training week.

I also had a big moral victory this weekend. I cleaned out my closet of any old clothes that did not fit. As I got farther back I could see hoe the sizes changed. I could see how much difference there was in the biggest clothes (wow!) and found a few that remained from years gone by (um, like since 1992/1993) that fit now. It looks like a local charity is about to get a large clothing donation soon. I took the time to buy a few items that fit properly, and I am thrilled to be at the same waist size I had when I was back in the Marines (although I still need to get rid of this extra stomach area weight I am currently carrying!).

62 days until Ironman Texas.....

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Good call shortening the workout to take care of the calf. You certainly don't want to deal with a full blown injury when you can take steps to prevent it from happening.

Congrats on the closet cleanout. I'm sure that felt really good to fit in to clothes you haven't fit in to for quite some time!!!