Sunday, April 26, 2009

CB&I Triathlon Open Water Swim Practice

Yesterday was the open water swimming practice session for next weekend's CB&I Triathlon in The Woodlands, Texas. This will also be my first triathlon with an open water swim like this one, so I made a point to take the time to make the practice swim on the course (and it didn't hurt that I live about 2 miles from the lake!!)

Fortunately, it didn't take too long to get used to the water. The water temperature was said to be 75 degrees, which felt a bit cool at first, but was about perfect once I got moving. The main difference for me over my normal pool swimming was getting used to having to look out of the water to see where I was going, but that wasn't too bad. I think my biggest problem this Saturday will be overcoming the urge to swim too fast, but we'll see what happens.

A nice surprise was that I was spotted by a friend from two past events, last December's Lakes of Williams Ranch 30K and last February's Austin Half Marathon. Ingrid spotted me as I obliviously walked right by her--my wife would be the first to tell anyone that I often miss things that way--but I was glad she got my attention so we could talk for a moment. Unfortunately, I never got to see her again at the swim, which was not surprising given the number of people there.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That sounds pretty amazing. I bet that doing that practice session will make a big difference come race day. At least you'll know what to look out for while racing instead of going in blind!

Keep up the training and let us know how it goes!

Heather and Jeff said...

You're going to do awesome at CB&I this weekend Richard!